Khoreshte Karafs is awesome. A great winter warmer and well loved by all, even those who aren’t usually keen on cooked celery. It has a zesty tang from the limes and herbs which is unforgetable. This khoreshte can be made all in one pan and is completely gluten-free.
- 500 gr’s Lamb diced
- 2 bunches of celery washed and cut into 2-3 cm length strips. Use the small fresh leaves of the celery and add with the other herbs.
- 2 large onions sliced
- 500 gr’s of mint and parsley or 1 bunch of each chopped
- 5 teaspoons of lime juice and 2 limu ormani or whole dried limes
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Clean and chop the celery and herbs
- Chop the onions
- Dice the meat
- Gently fry the onions until they become slightly golden
- Add the diced lamb and mix with the onions
- Add the turmeric, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Add a little hot water enough to cover the meat and stir.
- Add the lime juice and/ or limu ormani
- Add some more hot water and allow to cook for about 45 minutes.
- Add the chopped celery and chopped herbs and stir
- Add more hot water if necessary and cook for another 30 minutes. The celery should not become too soft.
- You may wish to add a little more lime juice if you like you khoreshte more sour.
- When you’re ready to serve, sprinkle a little fresh mint on the top of the khoresht
Serve with polou ( rice).