This is an easy, economical and delicious all time favourite. My grand children love it. You can use any of the chicken, legs, thighs, wings and breast or a combination.
- Portions of chicken in which ever combination you prefer.
- 1 large onion
- 1 cap of Lime juice
- 1/3 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 desert spoon of tomatoe purée
- I cup of za’faran infused water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Infuse za’faran as described in ‘ saffron and what to do with it ‘ https://javanehskitchen.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/saffron-and-what-to-do-with it/
- If you prefer to bake this in the oven, put your oven on at 200c or 392f or gas mark 6. Alternatively you can continue to cook this in a pan.
- Dice the onion
- Gently fry the onion in a large pan until it becomes transparent
- Add the chicken pieces, salt and pepper and cook off until sealed
- Add the turmeric and stir
- Add the za’faran infusion, tomatoe puree and lime juice
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes before transferring to the oven in a covered oven proof dish. You can use foil to cover the dish and remove in th last 15 minutes of cooking to allow chicken to brown off. Bake for 30 -40 minutes.
Serve for lunch or dinner with any rice dish, salad Shirazi, mixed green herbs and natural yoghurt. Za’faran chicken goes well with ‘ Sabzi Polou‘ or ‘ Zereshk Polou‘ .