This recipe is very simple and easy to make. It’s really a meal in itself, delicious for lunch or dinner and ideal for a buffet at a party. I have made it for picnics with kotlets and stuffed it into pitta bread for a working lunch. Its versatility is vast. It’s very similar to Russian Salad but personally I have never felt the need to try that. I am always being asked to make Salad Olivieh for parties and gatherings. Everyone loves it. It’s completely gluten-free which is always a bonus for me.
This recipe will serve up to 4 people. Most of the work is in the preparation of the ingredients.
- 400 gr’s Cooked chicken pieces shredded into small pieces no larger than the size of you nail. I usually use breasts but you can use the equivalent of any chicken meat.
- 4 large potatoes, boiled and roughly mashed
- 3-4 hard boiled eggs roughly mashed
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- The heart of a lettuce finely chopped
- 100 gr’s of pickled gherkins or dill pickles. These should not be sweet. Chop them finely.
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1 medium carrot grated ( optional)
- 2-3 teaspoons of lime juice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- It’s always best to prepare all your ingredients. There’s a lot of vegetables to peel and chop, cook and mash.
- If you have to cook the chicken specifically for this dish you can either fry it or poach it. I usually poach it in seasoned water with a teaspoon of lime juice.
Once you have finished all the preparation and the cooked ingredients have cooled down, add all of them together in a large mixing bowl. Por on the mayonnaise, add the lime juice, salt and pepper and gently mix. The ingredients should adhere to each other with the mayo and now your Salad Olivieh is ready to serve.It should be served cold.
Present the Salad Olivieh in a dish of your choice and decorate with strips of carrot, or gherkins and olives. You can decorate it in which ever way you choose.
Nooshi Joonet ~ Enjoy