Baghali Polou or Broad bean and Dill Rice is an aromatic rice dish to be eaten along with fish, chicken or lamb shanks. This is one of my personal favourites. Easy to make and impressive for dinner parties.
- 3 cups of basmati rice (follow this link for instructions to step 8 )
- A bowl of shelled broad beans
- A good handful of dill dried or fresh.
- Follow the link above to step 8 but if you’re using dried dill add it at step 5
- If you’re going to make this polou with taadig then slice the potatoes
- Add some oil and butter to a large heavy bottomed pan and melt.
- Add a teaspoon of the za’faran and stir into the butter and oil
- Add the sliced potatoes, covering the pan
- Begin to spoon in the rice. If you’re using fresh dill add it now, try to mix it evenly with the rice but be careful not to damage the grains.
- Add a desert spoon or two of butter or ghee and cover with a lid. Wrap a tea towel around the lid, be careful to secure all parts of the tea towel to avoid any risk if it catching alight.
- Cook on a low heat for about an hour.
- After about 3/4 of an hour add the broad beans, cover and leave for about 20 minutes.
- Pour on the za’faran infusion and serve.
Nooshi joonet. Enjoy