Really sweet little honey dipped pastries to have with your chai. I have adapted this recipe to suit my gluten free diet but you can substitute the rice flour for wheat flour. Ingredients for the syrup~
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of rosewater
Ingredients for the paste~
- 240 mls of water
- 120 mls of natural yoghurt
- 600 mls of rice flour
- a pinch of baking soda
- 450 mls of corn starch
Preparation for the syrup ~
- Combine the sugar and water and bring to the boil. The mixture will thicken and become a syrup. Add the rose water and put this to one side.
- Lay out some greaseproof paper to place your zulbia on once it’s cooked.
- Prepare a piping bag with a small – medium nozzle
- Combine the flour and sugar and the yoghurt and mix well making sure there’s no lumps put it the fridge to cool and leave for at least 30 mins.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan
- Pipe your flour mix into the oil in swirly circular shapes.
- Decrease the heat and fry gently on both sides.
- Remove from the pan when cooked and dip in the syrup for about 4-5 minutes
- Place on the greaseproof paper to drain off
When using rice flour for this recipe please be aware that you may need to add a little more flour to make the paste thicker. Its really trial and error, depending on the flour you use.
Serve with chai