Nan e Berenji originates from the Kermanshah region of Iran. Pure delight for me because they are made from rice flour. These delicious little cookies melt in your mouth and are just perfect to nibble on with your afternoon tea. They are just the right size for little mouths too… the children in our family adore them.
I know this recipe looks long and complicated but it’s not. There are three parts to it, unless you already have ghee, in which case there are only two.
NAN E BERENI
- 240 mls or 1 cup of ghee or clarified butter
- 720 mls or 3 cups rice flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1.5 teaspoons of cardamom powder
- poppy seeds to garnish
- the syrup (below)
Method for clarified butter:
- Either use ghee or clarify your own butter by heating it slowly over a low heat until it boils.
- Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes and remove the bubbly froth
- Remove from heat and put to one side.
- Once it settles and hardens you will have ghee.
Ingredients for the syrup:
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 8 tablespoons of rose-water
- 1/2 teaspoon of lime juice
Method for syrup:
- Add the sugar and water to a pan and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes and remove from the heat.
- Add the rose-water and lime juice and leave to cool.
Method for the cookies:
- Pre heat the oven to 180 c and prepare a biscuit baking tray by lining with grease proof paper. Place to one side.
- Make the syrup and leave to cool.
- Take a bowl, preferably a plastic one and beat the egg yolks until thick and creamy
- Add in the cool syrup and place to one side.
- In a another bowl add the rice flour, butter and cardamom and beat well.
- Add the egg yolks and mix for 15-20 minutes to create a dough and to ensure there’s lots of air in the mix.
- Knead the dough briefly. It should not be sticky at this point.
- Take a teaspoon of dough and roll into a small round shape and then flatten slightly and arrange on the baking tray leaving a distance of about 2.5 cm’s between each cookie.
- Decorate the biscuits if you wish and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for about 12 minutes.
- Remove carefully as they are quite delicate and allow to cool.