This rice dish is traditionally eaten at norooz, the Persian new year but why not eat other times too because it’s too delicious not to! In this recipe I use gluten free noodles because I have coeliacs disease, an allergy to Gluten but if you can substitute them with wheat noodles.
~~RESHTEH POLOU OR PERSIAN NOODLE RICE~~
- Basmati rice 1 cup per serving
- 1 handful of reshteh per three servings For coeliacs use rice noodles or gluten-free spaghetti.
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 small onion
Follow the recipe for making Persian rice to step 3 and then place to one side.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear and then pre soak for at least 2 hours in salted water.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add a teaspoon or 2 of salt according to your taste and then add the rice.
- Allow to bubble away until the rice becomes soft to bit. You should see the rice grains grow in length but dont allow them to become fluffy.
- Now drain and rinse and place to one side to finish draining.
- Meanwhile break the noodles into pieces. It doesn’t matter what size
- Chop and gently fry the onion in the butter and oil and add the noodles until golden
- Combine the rice and noodles in one pan as from step 4 and continue through the rest of the instructions to step 14.
- Some people like to add cinnamon and raisins which is delicious and you can sprinkle these on just before serving.