Chicken is relatively inexpensive at the moment with many of the larger supermarkets offering bargain packs. I usually stock up when they offer these bargain packs and freeze for later use and some how we ended up with a freezer full of chicken!
Chicken is light on the stomach, packed with protein, easy to prepare and cook and great for the bbq! Of all the different ways to use Chicken in Persian cooking , Joojeh kebab is one of my personal favorites.
There are a number of ways to make the marinade. This is my favorite but alternatively you could omit the olive oil and add mast or natural yoghurt. Another variation…some people add a teaspoon or two of turmeric.
- Make sure you marinade the chicken for at least a few hours before. I often leave mine over night.
- It’s important when cooking chicken on the bbq to get the coals good and hot to avoid undercooked meat and food poisoning ! Be sure to leave your coals until they are red, this can take up to 30 mins or more.
- Make sure you thoroughly cook the chicken.
~Ingredients for the marinade~
- Liquid saffron ( use 1/2 teaspoon of saffron, grind and add half a small cup of water)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion roughly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of Olive oil
- Roughly chop the onion. Your going to discard it later so don’t worry about it too much.
- Make the liquid saffron
- Cut the chicken into bbq size chunks and flatten.
- Combine all the ingredients and leave to marinade over night for maximum flavour.
- When your ready to bbq, place the chicken onto the skewer and grill each side until golden. Dont forget to baste with the marinade juices.
Serve with saffron rice and a nice fresh green salad.
Nooshi joonet …. Enjoy 🙂