Faloodeh is an experience you will never regret. It has its roots back in ancient Persia and is particularly associated with Shiraz. With a consistency of something between a slush puppy and sorbet, it’s memorable because of the rice noodles and refreshingly delicious due to the sweetness of the rose-water and sourness of the limes . The combination of these three ingredients makes it distinctive and fairly unique to Iran. I’ve never come across any one who doesn’t love it at first bite. …..
This is my recipe for Faloodeh, you will no doubt find other versions but this is easy. Add lime or lemon juice, it works well with the sweetness of the rose-water and add sour cherry syrup, pistachios and mint to garnish. Perfect desert for any time of the year and delightfully refreshing in the summer months!
Faloodeh – Rice Noodle Sorbet
~Recipe for use with an ice cream maker or by hand ~
- 2 cups of caster sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of rose-water
- 1 Vietnamese rice noodles (vermicelli) broken into 2 inch pieces.
garnish: pistachios, sour cherry syrup, any berries, fresh lime juice and lime wedges.
- Boil the rice noodles in boiling water for 20 seconds (or according to instructions) and no more or they will be too mushy.
- Remove the noodles from the pan, rinse under cold water and put to one side.
- Place the sugar and water into a pan and bring to the point just before it boils.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the rose-water and set aside.
- Allow it to cool off completely.
- Pour this mixture into an ice cream maker and turn it on. Allow it begin to set then add half of the noodles and then follow the same process again.
- Set the Ice cream maker to ‘sorbet’ setting, turn on and relax !
- OR combine the mix as above, place in a bowl and allow to begun to set in the freezer. After about an hour, remove from the freezer and gently using a fork, disturb the setting process and then place back in the freezer and repeat a few times until you’re happy with the consistency.
For garnish: Traditional: Lime juice , mint, and pistachios. As an alternative try sour cherry syrup juice, Mango syrup or any seasonal berries raspberries are delicious or mango and strawberries, blueberries or any fruit you fancy.
Nooshi joonet ~ you’re going to enjoy this !