~Khask e Budemjun~
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup of liquid whey ( then add 2 tbsp of water)
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of dried mint
- 30 mls of liquid saffron
- Peel the aubergine and slice into 2 inch lengths, sprinkle with salt and leave for about 30 mins until the bitter juices have drained. Wash and dry with a paper towel.
- In a little oil gently fry the mint until dark, drain and place to one side.
- Fry the chopped onions until golden and place to one side.
- Fry the chopped garlic until golden and place to one side.
- Fry the aubergine until golden.
- Add the onion and garlic, sprinkle on the salt, pepper, sugar and some of the mint leaving enough to garnish before serving.
- Add one small cup of water, enough to almost cover the aubergines.
- And finally gently pour on the saffron liquid.
- Leave on a low heat to cook for about 30 mins or until the aubergines are cooked.
- Use a masher and mash
- Transfer to a serving dish and pour on the whey. This can then be kept warm in an oven until ready to serve.
- Before serving garnish with mint alone or add walnuts and dates for a change.
~Nooshi Joonet ~
Tip : If you brush the aubergine in egg white before frying it prevents the aubergine from too much oil absorption.
This video courtesy of Press TV ( who I really can’t endorse because of their political affiliations) demonstrates how to make Khask e budemjun.
My recipe is a little different to Salomes but try both versions and see which you prefer!